Sunday, May 21, 2006

Wilco and the Mash-up Revolution





I don't know what you all know about mash-ups, but I am sure you have heard at least one. There is the ever popular Grey Album blending the music of the Beatles White Album and Jay-Z's the Black Album. Which is actually quite good. Also the '80s really saw the first mash-up of sorts with Run DMC's, "Walk this Way."

There have been mash-ups of all kinds of music, some of really cool, but most of it bad (from what I have heard.) Generally a mash-up are two seemingly polar opposite types of music. The genius of DJ who creates the mash-up is blending these songs/artists into something that is good and fun to listen to.

There is a fellow, by the name of iDigworms, who thought it was good idea to do a couple of Mash-ups of Wilco and the Beach Boys. I have found two tunes that he created, "That's not War" (That's Not Me and War on War) and "You Still Believe In Trying to Break Your Heart" (You Still Believe In Me and I am Trying to Break Your Heart). The songs are taken from Pet Sounds and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. If you don't have either of these albums, I suggest you turn in your music listener card and buy yourself Coldplay's X&Y. Yeah, cause that is a good album. I digress.

After a couple of listens, the songs are ok. But here is the thing, Wilco basically did a Beach Boy's record with Summerteeth, and have been toying with similar pop harmonies ever since. So there is not much of a wow factor with these songs. Yes the songs are 30 or so years apart, but musically are they that different? The interest factor just isn't there to keep me listening to these songs over and over again. Now if someone could do a mash up of Coldplay and Chicago, that would be cool, (just think horns of "25 or 6 to 4," with the awesome lyrics of "Clocks").

this post edited while listening to, "40 Grand in the Hole." By Mike Doughty

No comments: