
Yes, folks, you read it right: mono. Original, glorious mono.
Stereo was a newfangled fad back in the 1960s, so the boys spent most of their time personally working on the mono mixes and left the stereo mixes to the engineers who would typically toss them off in a few hours. That accounts for the annoying experience we get now listening to the Beatles with headphones: drums in the left channel, voice in the right channel, etc. In "Eleanore Rigby" they even mess up the stereo placement of Paul's voice when he begins singing the first verse and sloppily correct it. But the mono versions of their albums have no such distractions.
The White Album, actually, was the first album, I think, that they spent a lot of time on the stereo mix, so the mono mix was put out only in England and only for one pressing (I think). This is why I choose to upload it: it's rare.
You'll hear a lot of little differences. No handclaps in "Why Don't We Do It In The Road," the original, messed-up fiddle ad-lib at the end of "Don't Pass Me By," and lots of other things you may not have noticed in stereo. It's fun to compare.
Also included are 20 bonus tracks of outtakes, also all in mono.
If you want, I can also provide the mono mixes of "Revolver," "Yesterday and Today" and "Sgt. Pepper". Those (especially the former two) reveal many interesting mixing changes that will change the way you listen to these albums. Let me know if you want them, and I'd be glad to post.
3 comments:
Thanks for putting this up there Colin. I haven't had the time to listen to the whoel thing through, but if they are similar to the other ones you gave me, then I am sure they will be good.
I found a website that goes through the differences from the mono and stereo versions. I thought you all might be interested in it. White Album Mono
The White Album has always been my favorite Beatles album. About ten years ago I found a white vinyl copy on the Apple label at a thrift store. It even had the individual pictures and poster.
Would you be interested in the Let it Be Naked? It is a stripped-down version of the classic album in a way de-Spectorize (Phil Spector). While we are on the Beatles do you have George Harrison's All things Must Pass? It is George's masterpiece which show the strength of his song-writing. There is an early 70's all-star cast that accompanies him.
Tim, I have a copy of the white album in white vinyl too. Found it in Boston. It's fun to play it once in a while.
I already have Let It Be Naked, but thanks anyway. My copy of All Things Must Pass is on vinyl, but I wouldn't mind being able to listen to it on my iPod.
Are you interested in Revolver, Yesterday and Today, and Sgt. Pepper in mono? I must say they are quite a different experience, and better in my opinion.
Post a Comment