Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hold Steady-Stay Positive


Brooklyn's super cool Minnesota band The Hold Steady just released their 4th album entitled "Stay Positive."  Here in the cities the Hold Steady are praised as rock royalty; what I can't figure out is why.  I have three theories: 1) they are a good band, 2) some of the members of the band are from the Twin Cities (and Minnesota LOVES to celebrate its own) or 3) its cool for hipsters outside Minnesota to listen to music about another town.* 

Nevertheless, the Hold Steady's 4th record is much like their previous three. Its Bruce Springsteen's E-Street band playing blue-collar rock n roll while a guy in a Twins jersey talks about the relationships of made-up people.  The Current is playing tracks 1, 2, & 8 as the singles. Enjoy because I like the Hold Steady.

Final thought: The Twin's catcher Joe Mauer (from MN) should be nicknamed Hold Steady. He, like the band, is from Minnesota,  catcher's help to "hold" runners on base, and finally, Joe takes pitches and is a very consistent or "steady" presence in the middle of Gardy's line-up. 

*Steal.this.song founder Kyle came up with this theory. 

1 comment:

Russell said...

Finally got around to downloading this. It sounds like like Bruce Springsteen meets Widespread Panic...and I fucking hate those bands. Thanks anyway P2.