As far as I can tell, Selda Bagcan is like the Ethel Merman of Turkey. Or maybe the Judy Garland, or Lesley Gore. Maybe she's closer to the Grace Slick of Turkey, or maybe, just maybe, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It's possible there is no American analog to this woman with the throaty, emotional voice.
All I know are these facts:
- I got this album last Thursday night
- This album is filled with chunky Turkish psych-rock breaks
- Listening to this album makes me feel like I'm drunk, it's 3am, and I'm waiting in line for gyros and fries at the Parthenon, State St.
It might be a little far-out for some of you indie kids, but as Abba said (and they were foreigners too) Take A Chance!
5 comments:
if it is not reviewed in Pitchfork I won't listen to it.
PWN3D!!
Seriously, though, this album kicks all kinds of ass. It's my favorite of 2006!
I love Zelda, but I could never get past Digdogger in Level 5.
This album has been removed.
Post a Comment