Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Sessions


Seu Jorge is a Brazilian musician who is known for his work renewing the interest samba. His popularity has never moved much past his native Brazil, but his work was featured in the films City of God and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. It is the second movie that brought him to my attention. Seu had a bit part in Wes Anderson's fantastic character study, as a deck hand/sound man with Steve Zissou's crew. The movie is just short of fantastic. Fantastic being Rushmore. It is probably my second favorite Wes Anderson film. I thought it really expressed the theme of fatherhood and what it means to be father and son and that realationship. It was dark, but not overly morose like The Royal Tennebaums. It kept the essence of the ensamble cast but narrowed its focus on Steve and Ned, rather then the meandering as The Royal Tennebaums. I know I am probably in the minority of with my love of The Life Aquatic, but hey deal with it.

Seu Jorge did most of the soundtrack for The Life Aquatic, it is comprised of sweet acoustic music, enhancing Seu's deep timber. Did I mention that all of Seu Jorge's songs on The Life Aquatic soundtrack are all David Bowie covers. Yes the Thin White Duke, being covered by samba musician who speaks and sings in nothing but Portuguese. It is suprisinly good. Seu strips the songs to their essence and brings out the qualities of the music. It is what a good cover/tribute album should be. The idea of the original music is there but the artist makes it their own. Seu does a wonderful job.

The uploaded album is not the soundtrack rather the studio sessions that Wes Anderson had Seu Jorge record for the album. Only five songs make the soundtrack. On the The Life Aquatic Sessions there are 13 Bowie songs and one original composition (Team Zissou). If you are fan of Bowie or not, you will enjoy this album. Highlites on the album are Life on Mars, Changes, and Queen Bitch.

Enjoy

This post updated while listening to The Maginificant Defeat by Jay Bennett

3 comments:

Tim said...

Sounds cool, will download it right now. I do remember that the soundtrack to The Life Aquatic was interesting but for some reason did not see the credits. Maybe I should rent the movie again.

Are you a Bossa Nova fan? If so, I can upload some classics. About six months ago we were listening to a lot of early Bossa Nova. Also, I have a French band that does Bossa Nova cover versions of punk and new wave songs. They do an cool version of Joy Division "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

Jason said...

What is this "The Maginificant Defeat" you speak of, and why do I not see it posted on this site?

Sam said...

Post the Bossa Nova! Post it! Post it! Must have more Bossa Nova!