
Over the years there have been many rumors of Syd Barrett passing away but today it appears to be true. Syd Barrett (Roger Keith Barrett) founding member of Pink Floyd passed away a few days ago in Cambridge, England. He was the brilliant burnout who created the sound of early Pink Floyd. Today, I am posting his two solo albums: Madcap Laughs, released January, 1970 and Barrett, released November, 1970. Ever since I was a teenager I have been moved by Syd’s free-spirited, optimistic lyrics and his inventive melodies. He is one of my all time favorite musicians. If anyone is interested in early PF (posted it before the days of our Steal this Song blog) or music from HYGIY drop me a line and I can upload them. Also have mpgs of early PF videos/performances and a great BBC special about early PF and Syd, Omnibus - Crazy Diamond.
3 comments:
In my high school days I loved teh David Gilmour Pink Floyd. In college I learned to love Roger Water's Pink Floyd. As I am familair with Syd's Floyd, I never really got into it. His solo stuff was always way to out there for me. I think it is time to give Syd another listen.
Though Pink Floyd's music has grown a bit tiresome for me in recent years, I realize their emense talent and influnance. Without Syd none of it would be here today. RIP Syd.
Give" Wouldn't You Miss Me" a listen. I always liked it that Syd's stuff was way out there. I am a fan of PF up until Wish You Were Here. After Dark Side of the Moon, Roger Waters lyrics become a bit dark and cynical for me.
This album has been removed.
Post a Comment