Pualio (aka Scott Vocarl) requested a week or so ago some instrumentals. Since I didn't have much to do tonight and there was nothing on TV. I thought I would post a collection of crazy instrumentals for dear old Pablo. Here is the 19 I came up with.
1) Take the "A" Train - Esquivel
Esquivel is one of the craziest mother f*ckers out there. His music is nuts. This version of the Duke Ellington Classic is one of his more normal ventures in to music
2) Take the "A" Train - The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
This is from the Ken Burns' Jazz documentary a couple of years back. Wynton Marsalis is the director at this time. When his trumpet comes in it hits me every time. This song really started me liking jazz. Plus I wanted to hear how different the traditional version is compared to Juan's.
3) Good Eats Theme - Alton Brown
A catchy tune from the best Food Network show out there.
4) Cat Eats Coyote - califone
This is from one of the greatest albums in the last couple of years, Quicksand and Cradlesnakes. At first thought a throw away song, at just about a minute thirty. But there is a lot going on here, really works well as a stand alone piece, but is fantastic as part of the album.
5) Stockport - Badly Drawn Boy
Underrated album (One Plus One is One), love the piano. Quite and fun
6) Everything In Its Right Place - Christopher O'Riley
So Christopher thought it would be a good idea to play the lush electronic production of Radiohead, alone on his piano. Amazingly enough he pulls it off and well. You can hear Tom Yorke's voice straining out from behind the keys. I can't wait until his Coldplay album.
7) June Bug - Leo Kottke
Greatest 12 and 6 string guitar player, ever. Funniest too.
8) Smoothie Song - Nickel Creek
Yeah this was all over AAA radio a couple of years back, but damn if it isn't good.
9) Buck Hill - The Replacements
A song from their "experimental" album, Hootennanny. Where each of the members played a different instrument then their normal one. I think Paul is on drums but it hard to tell. Plus it is a song about a ski hill in Minneapolis.
10) Space Suit - They Might Be Giants
After the ADD marathon that is "Fingertips," the two Johns close Apollo 18 with this song. Really wraps up the album nicely. One of the first songs they ever wrote together and performed.
11) Main Theme, Doctor Who Series Two
Louis: I'm the king of France
The Doctor: Yeah? Well I'm the lord of time.
12) Ice Castles - Ween
A wonderfully weird and delightful song from Gene and Dean. Kinda reminds me a Saturday morning cartoon theme stuck on the wrong speed.
13) Instrumental 2 - Wilco
From the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Demos. There are words to this but luckily for you they are not on this version. They are not good.
14) Blue Grass - John Denver
Rocking out only as John can.
15) My Friend Cubilas - Badly Drawn Boy
The stocking capped Brit makes his reappearance. I really like this song. Can't tell you why though.
16) Sabrosa - The Beastie Boys
From their solid album, Ill Communication. Very funky with an Eastern twinge.
17) Dick Holster - Ben Folds Five
A total throw away song. Just Ben noodling with the piano.
18) Treefingers - Radiohead
Feel yourself melt with this song. Kid A is the best overrated album I have listened to. X&Y is the worst overrated album.
19) The Polynesian Fertility Chant
I don't even know myself
*** this post updated while actually listening to the above songs.***
1 comment:
P2 is Paul Peterson, that is PP = P2. And I'm deleting that crappy image you stole from Tripod.
Post a Comment