Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Village Green Preservation Society


I have a friend named Aaron Scholz. He plays his laid back alt-country, singer songwriter stylings in and around town. Many of you know him, or have seen him live. Unfortunately I think his music career has taken a back seat to a career of being a dad. He has not put out an album since Come Back Down in 2002. But this post is not about Aaron. In the liner notes he wrote "Listen to The Village Green Preservation Society by the Kinks." Now in 2002 I was not sure what that meant. I mean, album by the same guys who fouled the airways with "Lola."

My friend Kristian loves the Kinks. He told me under no certain circumstances that I was to bad mouth "Lola." And if I knew what is good for me I would pick up Village Green Preservation Society. So about a month ago I did. Man was Kristian and Aaron right. This album is fantastic! Of course you will remember the song "Picture Book" which was on the ubiquitous HP commercials about a year ago.

The album is truly solid from start to finish. You can hear almost every late 90's and early 00's British band. I mean Belle and Sebastian might as well just give it up and say they are a Kinks cover band. Jack White, I mean lay it down man to the alter of Ray and Dave Davies. Without this band there would be no Big Star, and well everyone knows my feelings on Big Star.

From their allmusic.com biography they remained true to their English roots. After reading that I would say The Kinks are the English Beatles. The Kinks will remain in the pantheon of under appreciated artists that have way more influence than you would have ever imagined.

So I leave you with the words of Aaron Scholz, "Listen to Village Green Preservation Society."

This post updated while listening to my iTunes on shuffle (you can see how much time I spend on this thing. I am a geek.)
I have heard:
Firecracker - Ryan Adams
Someday - Ween
Black Diamond - The Replacements
Miss Teen Wordpower - The New Pornographers
Illumination - Gogol Bordello
You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl) - The White Stripes
No More Parades - Son Volt
Pads, Paws And Claws - Elvis Costello
Goodnight My Friends - They Might Be Giants
Too Far Gone ("lost session" version) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Controversy - Prince
Johnson Rag -Esquivel

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Maybe the best thing I've downloaded from the iDisk. Thank you.

Colin said...

I listened to this last night. Very cool. I had no idea....