
Lately I've been on a mixtape craze. Don't know why, I just am. Kyle's mention of a Licensed to Ill cassette made me wax nostalgic for my old collection of cassingles, mixtapes, and assorted commercially released cassettes, long since buried deep in the landfill. Since tape decks are very nearly in the same historical heap as the 8-track player, it's hard to make a true mixtape, and hard to listen to any tape you might stumble across.
Which means we've gone digital. Totally fine with me, because it makes these things easier to copy, record and distribute. There's nothing like the muted distortion on a well-used cassette, and frankly, it's nothing that I truly miss.
With all that said, here's a mix of rare/unusual covers by Peanut Butter Wolf, the head of the nonpareil Stones Throw Records, called "Cover Me Badd". This beast is an appeal to the rare record dork in us all; watch as he throws down all kinds of wack cuts. Who records these? Who releases them? And why on earth does PB Wolf have copies of them?
2 comments:
Great upload. Hilarious and a little bit scary. Stones Throw Podcast is solid when it comes to sharing the Mix love. I'm listening to Madlib Remixes 1997-2007 now. Classic stuff.
I've got a few other mixes I'd like to post if there is interested. Most notably, Brother Ali & Plain Ole Bill's mix of classic funk and hip-hop that influenced Ali's career.
Please do.
Post a Comment