Sunday, June 10, 2007

Icky Thump - The White Stripes


Probably the most anticipated album of the early summer, if not the year, Icky Thump is not the return to the garage band roots of their earlier work, as some would hope. It caries some elements of their self titled debut, and De Stijl; but it also throws in the touch of experimentalism that made Get Behind Me Satan such a head scratcher.

The Detroit Duo's 6th studio album is a head scratcher and will divide many a fan. I find the album quite enjoyable. Not as great as Elephant, but really what could be? Jack White really stretches himself in his songwriting on this album. This album seems to be more a collection of small stories then other efforts. From the title track's bombastic recounting of a trip gone wrong south of the border, to Rag and Bone, a tale of gypsy like junk pickers.

Great hi-lites are 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues, and the closer, Cause and Effect. Songs that I do not care for are St. Andrew (This Battle Is in the Air) and Conquest. The later I heard was a cover, but I can find no information beyond that.

I would be remissed if I did not mention Meg White's drumming. I can not say anything better then what was said here.

Well enjoy and let me know what you all think.

***This post updated while listening to the Cubs v. Braves***

No comments: