Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ryan Adams - Cardinal Radio


What happens when one of the most prolific songwriters of the last 5 years realizes that he can record music cheaply and get them out to the masses via the internet? The result is Ryan Adams' "Cardinal Radio". This online "radio station" consists of 8 Albums that Mr. Adams recorded under various pseudoyms such as DJ Reggie, The Shit, and WereWolph. Each band has its own unique style, from Hillbilly Punk to odd electronica. I feel most of it is unlistenable, but there are a few good nuggets mixed in there. I think Adams is doing this just becasue he can, and he knows people will listen and talk about him (like I am doing).

Adams' other albums are there as well for you to enjoy, if you are not familiar with his music check those out as well. I really like Ryan Adams with no real reason to do so. I think he is a great song writer, especially if you are into songs about women screwing you over. Or songs that sound like the Dead (Cold Roses) or the Replacements (Love is Hell). The problem is that he thinks he is the greatest songwriter ever and everything he puts out is awesome. Unfortunatly about 1/3 of it is fabulous and 1/3 is ok, and the last well is just not. I wish he would slow down and not put out some many albums and concentrate on putting out an album that is truly great. He has it in him. Plus he is looking more and more like a strung out Harry Potter, which is always cool.

Love Ryan Admas or hate him, he is doing some interesting things with music putting out what he wants. Pure Egotism, maybe? Genius? Time will tell. Interesting, yes.

***this post updated while listening to Katie sing lullabyes to Burke***

No comments: