Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion


Okay, long time reader, been a while poster.

I have some time this week at work, so I decided I will post 2 albums each day, one being a new indie rock hype band and the other a random classic album to me.

The first posting happens to be what many bloggers are claiming the album of the year. Now, I never quite jumped on the noise bandwagon that is Animal Collective. Their album a few years ago, Sung Tongs, is a fun listen but never stuck with me. In the last 2 years I feel you couldn't get away from them, with each new track being dissected by the likes of Pitchfork or Gorrilla Vs. Bear.

Well, Animal Collective release their most accessible album to date with Merriweather Post Pavilion and it happens to be good. I am not going to freak out and claim them the next Purple Jesus or this album the best of 2009 no matter what else comes out, but I will say this album certainly deserves a listen.

Their first single off the album is called My Girls.

Oh, and the album covers moves! Optical Illusions a must!

2 comments:

Kevin Gustafson said...

so apparently this is the best album ever. I think I have heard it all before and better by a Brit band called Spiritualized. meh

Russell said...

Um, not seeing the album anywhere?