
Somewhere in the post Pavement world Stephen Malkmus decided that it would be a good idea to try to bring back the jam. Why he decided this is beyond anyones guess because according to anyone who knows anything that any song over 10 minutes is inherently terrible. Anyone who has sat through a Phish show and was not stoned knows what I am talking about. Real Emotional Trash has only one of these songs, which is good. It's not that the title track is a bad song, it is actually quite good, it is too damn long, and has some unnecessary parts.
I like this record. It maybe SM's closest work to Wowee Zowee era Pavement. Former Slater Kinney drummer Janet Weiss makes a solid addition to the Jicks as the cornerstone to the rhythm section. Hilites of the record include the stoned out opener Dragonfly Pie and the first single Baltimore. I also really like Elmo Delmo which seems like a left over track from The Terror Twilight, if it was about 3 minutes shorter.
What is missing from this album is a sense of fun. Oh I am sure SM & Jicks had a great time with is record, but there is a lack of playfulness within the songs. There are no psychedelic freakouts, references to Geddy Lee, or Oysters. Which I think ever song or album should contain.
Anyway Enjoy,
1 comment:
The psychedelic freakouts are very heavy, brings you to another place. Has a very cool retro feel to it.
Post a Comment