
Did I already post this? Oh well, it is deserved of a second listing.
This is the newest album from the brothers WEEN (actually not brothers and not named WEEN). For those unfamiliar, WEEN started as Gene and Dean Ween out of New Jersey, with their first album God WEEN Satan on Minneapolis label Restless Records. They would go on to record an album while high on gasses and glue (The Pod), an album of country music original classics (12 Golden Country Greats), the sexiest album cover of all time according to Playboy (Chocolate and Cheese), one of 2000's best albums (White Pepper) and one of the best albums Phish could only dream of recording (The Mollusk). I didn't even mention the other classics like Pure Guava, Quebec and the many live albums and website only releases.
La Cucaracha is classic Ween. Songs that break the barrier of definition, songs that meld early 90's electronica with Polka, songs that make you smile, dance, want to hit your bong (or your bubbler, depending on preference) and songs that just plain rock.
If you dig this album, I highly suggest checking out White Pepper, Chocolate and Cheese and The Mollusk.
Songs on La Cucaracha to listen to first: Sweetheart in the Summer, Friends, Blue Balloon, Learnin to Love and Spirit Walker.
1 comment:
I love me some Ween. Although, I have to say after a couple of listens this album is a disappointment. Reading other reviews I was lead to believe it was a return to the prog-rock of the Mollusk (which is by far and away their best albums and in my top 20 of all time), it has some classic Ween material, but nowhere near their best work. I would say a mediocre album, with a couple of good tunes. Pitchforking it I give it 5.7
Post a Comment