
Look, I'm not going to shit you - France is, by and large, a ghetto for popular music. Sure, you can point to "AIR" and maybe that Robert Miles guy (though I'm pretty sure he's half-Brit - he's got that sort of a thing emanating, bad teeth and his nose isn't big enough to be French), but AIR are basically weenies even though that first album had its moments.
Have you ever heard French hip-hop? Don't seek it out - it's so bad, it's seriously used in the soundtracks for "edgy" porn films that feature a dude with an accent and a mole on his ass.
Really, you gotta go back to the great Serge Gainsbourg before you find truly "great" music from our brothers in liberty. Dude may be off-the-charts homely, but he got all kinds of ass (Brigitte Bardot? Jane Birkin? Hello nurse!) and he laid down some off-the-wall shit. Have you heard the breaks on Histoire de Melody Nelson? Out. Of. Hand.
Anyway, all of this is a round-about way of saying how much I'm loving this new album from, yes, French rockers Justice. † (option "T" for all you Mac-heads) is pretty much a revelation. I don't know if these guys dig on the Jesus, and frankly, I don't care, because this is like Christ coming up from the dirt as some sort of flamethrower-sporting cyborg who happens to party with all the hott ladies. Seriously, I dare you to throw this on the ol' car stereo and not instantly be driving 10mph faster.
As far as highlights, the opener "Genesis" is okay, but it's when "Let there Be Light" takes off and works its magic, subtle as a punch in the face, that you know what you're up against. You know that moment in The Matrix when Keanu Reeves, our generation's most versatile actor, turns his head and says in his most solemn tone "I know kung-fu"? "Waters of Nazareth" is an approximation of what's going through his head at that moment.
This album isn't going to change your life, and it's probably going to be irrelevant in another two months. But right now, it fucking moves. Don't sleep on it.
Cross.zip
2 comments:
If I had to pick my favorite 10 minutes at Coachella this year, it was Justice doing Simian Mobile Disco's 'We Are All Friends' mixed with their own D.A.N.C.E.
Genius. These guys rule and if you want more, I have all kinds of stuff, Copy, Digitalism, SMD, Battles, Maps, etc.
Make it happen, dude. I'm all ears for more electro.
Post a Comment