Sunday, September 03, 2006

Deerhoof - The Runners Four (more post rock?)


I first heard Deerhoof at the Wilco concert at the Orpheum a few years back. They opened, and people mostly talked though their set or sat dumbfounded and a little annoyed. "By turns cuddly and chaotic" (allmusic.com), Deerhoof can be a little off-putting if you're not expecting what they have to offer. I was intrigued, but I didn't get an album of theirs for another year.

I bought "Reveille" on iTunes, and I was immediately hooked. Mostly instrumental, that album has to be one of my favorites. Since then I've bought most of their albums. Their latest is "The Runners Four" which I offer here. I chose that instead of my favorite because, well, it's their latest, and it's still damn good.

The lead singer, Satomi Matsuzaki, sounds a little too close to Yoko Ono for many people's comfort, but her voice is more childlike than catlike. Their music offers some great pop melodies along with experimental noise, angular guitars, and great drumming. I hope you like.

No comments: