Their first major label record, Colin Meloy and gang did not follow all the rules. The Crane Wife is an hour long with just 10 songs, two of which are more than 11 minutes each. The album switches back and forth between melancholy-folk and prog-rock, often times in the same song. The addition of organ and accordion give The Decemberists more meat to their sound and more weight to Meloy's dark lyrics. While it's not my favorite album, it will surely grow on me. The song "Yankee Bayonet" highlights a great duet with Meloy and Laura Veirs. Also, the last three songs are amazing. The Crane Wife comes out October 3. Enjoy.I've also reposted 'The Magic Numbers' and 'They Shoot Horses Don't They' for Matt.
Posted while listening to Califone - Roots & Crowns.
2 comments:
This album is uber-awsome.
Kyle, you rock.
(I think I am on listen 80 or so.)
Colin Meloy can suck it
Post a Comment